A COVID-19 vaccine passport system kicks in Wednesday in Ontario, requiring individuals to point out proof of vaccination for entry into hundreds of non-essential venues throughout the province.
Eating places, bars, sports activities venues, gyms, theatres, cinemas and casinos are among the many places the place employees should ask patrons to point out certification that they obtained two doses of an authorized vaccine at the least two weeks earlier than, together with identification that matches their vaccination doc.
Here is what it’s essential to learn about how Ontario’s vaccine passport system will work.
Proof of vaccination doc
Ontarians can obtain their proof of vaccination from this provincial authorities web site. You want your OHIP card to log in to the location. When you obtain the certificates exhibiting you have had two doses of vaccine, you possibly can both print a tough copy or retailer the PDF in your telephone.
Vaccination receipts from jurisdictions exterior Ontario are accepted, offered that the vaccine doses obtained meet the province’s definition of absolutely vaccinated. If any of the doses obtained have been not amongst Well being Canada’s 4 authorized vaccines (Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD or Janssen/Johnson & Johnson), Ontario requires two doses to be thought of absolutely vaccinated, or a follow-up of 1 dose of both the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccine.
Together with the paper or digital copy of your vaccination certificates, you might be required to point out government-issued identification with your title and date of beginning, matching what’s on the proof-of-vaccination doc. It doesn’t should be picture ID.
You need to use your OHIP card as identification, though the venue employees shouldn’t have the fitting to demand to see your well being card as a part of your proof of vaccination.
You should present your identification and proof of being absolutely vaccinated in opposition to COVID-19 to enter the next places:
- Indoor areas of eating places and bars, in addition to each indoor and out of doors areas of nightclubs.
- Indoor areas of live performance venues, theatres, cinemas, casinos, bingo halls and different gaming institutions.
- Indoor areas of sport and leisure amenities, resembling gyms, health centres, swimming swimming pools, water parks and indoor spectator areas of sports activities venues.
- Indoor areas of assembly and occasion areas, resembling banquet halls, convention and conference centres.
- Indoor areas of horse racing or automotive racing tracks.
- Indoor areas of strip golf equipment, bathhouses and intercourse golf equipment.
Exceptions and exemptions
Youngsters underneath 12 should not topic to Ontario’s vaccine passport system, as they’re presently not eligible for vaccination.
To be exempt from Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccination necessities, anybody age 12 and up should present a written doc from a doctor or a nurse practitioner on official letterhead stating that there’s a medical motive for the exemption.
Public well being medical doctors have mentioned medical exemptions are uncommon and are primarily restricted to having a life-threatening allergy to an ingredient within the vaccine, or having had an hostile response to a primary dose.
There are additionally a number of particular exceptions to the vaccination requirement for the venues listed above:
- Folks getting into the indoor space of a restaurant or bar solely to get takeout, to pay or to make use of a washroom.
- Youngsters underneath 18 getting into a sports activities or leisure facility for energetic participation in an organized sport, resembling a league or courses, together with dance, martial arts or swimming.
- Folks getting into a gathering or occasion facility solely to attend a marriage ceremony or funeral service. The exception doesn’t apply to a reception or social gathering related to the marriage or funeral. Nevertheless, till Oct. 13, a non-vaccinated particular person can attend such a social gathering by producing a adverse COVID-19 take a look at administered throughout the earlier 48 hours.
Digital vaccine passport: Oct. 22
Provincial officers say Ontario will transfer to a digital proof-of-vaccination system a month from now. Individuals who’ve been vaccinated will be capable of obtain a QR code to their telephone, which will be learn by a free smartphone app to be made out there forward of the Oct. 22 begin date.